If you enjoy interior decorating then this is the option for you.
This is probably the least expensive, most time consuming, exhausting but enjoyable option and only to be undertaken if you can spare the time. But we can confirm that our clients who have followed this route have achieved a more unique and high quality than the average home, and we have seen some impressive rental numbers as a result.
But perhaps the best thing about this option (assuming that you enjoy this activity) is that you get to choose the pictures, lamps, comforters, kitchen ware and ‘knick–knacks’ yourself. Some key points:
- You will need at least one visit to order the furniture and you will need to be at your home for delivery (or come to some arrangement with your Management Company to do the same). It also involves you doing all the set up like hanging pictures, making beds etc., so don’t plan on visiting any theme parks during your stay or bring plenty of helpers with you!
- Before you start you will need to make a comprehensive list of all you will need to provide in your home so that you can begin your great shopping expedition (we can help with that list). Also think about whether you want themed rooms especially for the children’s bedrooms.
- The best place to start is to choose the furniture and there are lots of good furniture shops in Orlando. The Sunday Orlando Sentinel is a good source for adverts, locations of showrooms and some of the special offers they have. Most of the big furniture stores have web sites so you will be able to do a lot of research without actually trawling round all the shops. Ask us for suggestions if you need to.
- Some showrooms sell whole room packages, for example a typical living room of sofa, loveseat, coffee table, 2 side tables and 2 lamps. The inclusive price works out cheaper than buying the items separately (but do remember that the prices advertised are without sales tax which is typically around 7% in Orlando). The time between ordering and delivery is usually a lot less than in the UK and some will even deliver within a week if they have the items in stock.
- Once you have chosen the furniture for each room (which thank goodness will be delivered!) you can start thinking about pictures, plants, pillows, bed linens, towels, all the kitchenware etc. etc. Again there are numerous outlets for these but do as much research on the Internet before setting off on your shopping bonanza it can cut down on your time.
- Although you may find everything you need in one shop, unless you hire a trailer or a van you will not be able to purchase everything in one shopping trip. Have you any idea how much room pillows and comforters take up in the boot?!
- One thing to remember is to try to make your home appealing to a wide range of guests. If you have very outlandish (ok, let’s go with “unusual”) tastes, this may not appeal to everyone and could put people off renting it. Try to give your home the “wow” factor, but at the same time make sure it is welcoming to visitors.
For some additional “must haves” for you to think about, click here: Orlando Vacation Homes – Must Haves.
If you want more information or help on do it yourself please Contact Us.